From: Gary Verchick (lists@johnmecham.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 15:28:36 EST

Hello Matthew,

> This is more of a spamassassin question, but I thought I would solicit
> opinions here, as it pertains to amavis.

> I have set up an account called spam@mydomain.com, every time I get a
> spam that isn't tagged by spamassassin, I forward it to
> spam@mydomain.com. Every night, sa-learn looks at the spam mail spool,
> and learns from the messages.

> My fear is that SA is learning not only from the spammy messages, but
> also from the fact that I am sending them. I am trying to make SA more
> accurate, however, I worry that I will just cause messages I send to be
> marked as spammy.

A message that is forwarded from a user is not the same message that
was originally received (because it has a new set of headers). If
you are using 'sa-learn --spam' then you *are* training bayes to
recognize stuff that comes from you as spam. You need to save the
original message in its entirety with the original headers intact.
Your MUA may have the ability to export the message as .EML or .TXT.
Make sure the file that results from the export is plain text.
If you are on a Windows machine, you could export the messages
to a folder, then copy the folder over to your Debian box using
WinSCP or other means.