From: Mark Martinec (Mark.Martinec+amavis@ijs.si)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 19:16:20 EST

> My logs show this error once in a while:
> Dec 14 10:15:47 myhost amavis[10691]: (10691-07) TROUBLE in check_mail:
> virus_or_banned quar+notif FAILED:
> Can't close /var/amavis/quarantine/virus-20041214-101526-10691-07:
> No space left on device
> at /usr/local/sbin/amavisd line 3564
>
> I use a tmpfs mount for amavis to work in... is it simply too small?
> tmpfs 64M 500K 64M 1% /var/amavis/tmp
>
> I am not sure about the code in /usr/local/sbin/amavisd line 3564 and if
> this is what it is telling me or not.

The line 3564 is a quarantining code, and it is telling you
that it can't quarantine a message because the disk
partition hosting /var/amavis/quarantine is near-full.

I hope you have not placed the quarantine directory on a tempfs.
A more usual place for a quarantine directory is /var/virusmails

> Also, can anyonen tell me what happens to a message when this error
> occurs? Does it get delivered or rejected or....?

The MTA receives a temporary failure, the mail stays in its queue
for a later retry. Nothing is lost, unless the situation persists
for several days, after which the MTA will inform senders
about its failure to deliver.

  Mark