From: Mark Martinec (Mark.Martinec+amavis@ijs.si)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 21:02:40 EST

Ivan,

> Hi, i'm getting a form problem message on my amavis log file, and
> concides with connection problems between postfix and amavis, this
> causes postfix queue the messages but it can't dequeue them because
> amavis can't fork.

The mail stays in the Postfix queue
until the problem with amavisd is resolved.

> i have this settings on my amavisd.conf
> $max_servers = 10;
> $max_requests = 20;
> $child_timeout=60;

Sound reasonable for a capable host with enough memory.
You may try reducing somewhat the $max_servers and the matching
maxproc in master.cf to see if it helps.

> how can i solve this problem (i think that some amavisd servers are
> dying but i don't know why)??
> Dec 14 13:19:06 192.168.1.1 /opt/amavis/bin/amavisd[21248]:
> (21248-01-92) TROUBLE in check_mail: mime_decode-1 FAILED: run_command
> (open pipe): Can't fork
> at /usr/local/perl-5.8.3/lib/5.8.3/sun4-solaris-thread-multi/IO/File.pm
> line 176. at /opt/amavis/bin/amavisd line 1572.

The fork(2) operation is failing, perhaps you are running out
of system resources (memory usage, process limit, ...).
It is not a know/specific problem with amavisd-new.

  Mark