From: lemat_hates_spam@lemat.priv.pl
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 13:21:10 EST

postfix 2.1.5
amavisd-new 2.2.1 20041222 working as a content-filter on port 10024

I have set $MAXFILES to 150 and tried to send an email with $MAXFILES+1
atachments. Postfix accepted this and tried to pass this mail to amavis.
The response from amavis was:

451 4.5.0 Error in processing, id=00870-06, mime_decode-1 FAILED: Maximum
number of files (150) exceeded at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 4518, <GEN8> line

amavis.log :
PRESERVING EVIDENCE in /usr/lib/amavis/tmp/amavis-20041229blah,blah,blah
in above directory there are contents of my email

because of 451 "Come back later" message my postfix attempted to deliver
the message after a short time. And he got 451 again, amavis created a new
directory and filled it with parts of the message again. The story repeats
until postfix considered mail as an undeliverable and bounced.

Few these messages can flood the filesystem.

The quick solution is to change the response number from 451 to 551 in
line #6889

$smtp_resp = "551 4.5.0 Error in processing, id=$am_id, $msg"

That caused postfix to treat this mail as an undeliverable and bounce
immediately to sender.

But sending $MAXFILES+1 files compressed in one zip file causes amavis to
mark the message as ***UNCHECKED*** and deliver it succesfully.

Regards
Marcin Lemanski