....
 

Guardian Digital Inc. > InfoCenter > Mailing List Archives > Amavis

Amavis Mailing List Archive

From: Cory Coager (ccoager@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 17:54:01 EST


I am pretty new to amavisd-new (2.2.1) and have had a big headache trying to

get it installed and everything working. The problems I am having are with
the spam filters using both SpamAssassin (3.0.2) and dspam (3.2.3). I have
found the following issues:

1) I have the web cgi frontend installed for dspam so I can see each message

being passed through the filter. I have found that on some messages dspam
will get trained twice on the same message, contradicting itself! The first

pass would say its Innocent, then a few seconds later it says its actually
Spam. It took me awhile to figure it out but if you look in the executable
for amavisd around line 11086, sub spam_scan, you will see the following:

> if ( $spam_level > 5.0 && $dspam_result eq 'Innocent') {
> $eat = 'SPAM'; push(@options, qw(--class=spam --source=error));
> # @options = qw(--stdout --addspam); # dspam < 3.0
> }
> elsif ($spam_level < 1.0 && $dspam_result eq 'Spam') {
> $eat = 'HAM'; push(@options, qw(--class=innocent --source=error));
> # @options = qw(--stdout --falsepositive); # dspam < 3.0
> }

So basically every message with more than 5 points from SA is always spam,
and less than 1 point is always Innocent and dspam is wrong otherwise. Why
is this so?

2) In sub check_mail around line 6398 you will see:

> } elsif ($spam_presence_checked) {
> do_log(5, "spam_presence cached, skipping spam_scan");
> } else {

This is causing some duplicate messages not to be spam scanned at all or
causing spam headers to be missing. IMO I'd like every message to be
scanned, wouldn't this be better as an option in the config?

3) After processing quite a few emails I have found that dspam doesn't
actually do anything with SA present. If they have different opinions on
whether an email is spam/ham, SA always wins the arguement. Is this true?

4) I have setup amavisd to use quarantine and changed $QUARANTINEDIR to use
dspam's mailbox so I can use their web frontend to process quarantine. The
problem is when a message gets quarantined, none of the dspam headers are
present! This causes 2 big problems, 1) all the rating percentages are 0%
because DSpam-Confidence is missing and 2) delivering a quarantine message
(because it is not spam) throws it back in the quarantine because retraining

dspam on that message fails since the headers are missing (--source=error
relies on DSPAM headers or it fails).

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to bring these issues up but
perhaps someone can give me some feedback on this. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------
The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues
Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek.
It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt
_______________________________________________
AMaViS-user mailing list
AMaViS-user@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/amavis-user
AMaViS-FAQ:http://www.amavis.org/amavis-faq.php3
AMaViS-HowTos:http://www.amavis.org/howto/



[ About Guardian Digital ] - [ Press Center ] - [ Contact Us ] - [ System Activation ] - [ Reseller Info ] - [ Online Store ] - [ Site Map ]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2004 Guardian Digital, Inc. Linux Lockbox and EnGarde are Trademarks of Guardian Digital, Inc.