Guardian Digital Inc. > InfoCenter > Mailing List Archives > Full Disclosure

Full Disclosure Mailing List Archive

From: Pekka Savola (pekkas@netcore.fi)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 12:16:39 EST

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Paul Starzetz wrote:

> Synopsis: Linux kernel IGMP vulnerabilities
> Product: Linux kernel
> Version: 2.4 up to and including 2.4.28, 2.6 up to and including 2.6.9
[...]
> Both parts of the IGMP subsystem have exploitable flaws:
>
> (1) the ip_mc_source() function, that can be called through the user API
> (the IP_(UN)BLOCK_SOURCE, IP_ADD/DROP_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP as well as
> MCAST_(UN)BLOCK_SOURCE and MCAST_JOIN/LEAVE_SOURCE_GROUP socket SOL_IP
> level options) suffers from a serious kernel hang and kernel memory
> overwrite problem.
[...]

Does this also affect earlier 2.4 releases which did not yet
incorporate IGMPv3? If so, to which extent? AFAIR, IGMPv3/MLDv2 was
added in 2.4.22.

At least the PoC requires *_(UN)BLOCK_SOURCE APIs which were added
with IGMPv3.

As far as I can see (a very quick look), 2.4 prior to 2.4.22 should
not be (at least similarly) affected.

--
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html