Guardian Digital Inc. > InfoCenter > Mailing List Archives > Full Disclosure

Full Disclosure Mailing List Archive

From: Timothy Hall (admin@TELE2WIN.NET)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 16:02:10 EST

Greetings Paul and Stephen and List...

Paul thanks for clearing that up. SuSE 9.0 Pro (at least the way two
boxes I take care of are set up) have
/proc/net/igmp
/proc/net/mcfilter
but 'mcfilter' is empty.
No local users other than myself... At least that I can tell... :)

TMTH H

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, stephen joseph butler wrote:

> > /proc/net/igmp
> > /proc/net/mcfilter
> >
> > if both exist and are non-empty you are vulnerable!
>
> Just to be clear: if "mcfilter" is empty, then you aren't
vulnerable?
> I have both files, and "igmp" contains data, but "mcfilter" is
empty.

You are not vulnerable to the remote attack described under (3),
however
your kernel may be still buggy. Note that you need a running process
that
has manipulated its multicast socket filters. If your kernel is buggy
and
you have local users such an application can always appear, at a time
you
don't expect it.

--
Paul Starzetz