Guardian Digital Inc. > InfoCenter > Mailing List Archives > Postfix

Postfix Mailing List Archive

From: Victor Duchovni (Victor.Duchovni@MorganStanley.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 00:10:52 EST

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:19:06PM +1300, Birger Brunswiek wrote:

> mailbox_size_limit = 0

Somewhat unwise, set a conservative upper bound even if it
is O(1GB).

> myhostname = dagobah.wmicomputer.de
> relayhost =
> transport table is empty. master.cf (I think I just removed some of the
> chroot jails) is:
> smtp unix - - - - - smtp -v
> relay unix - - - - - smtp -v

Actually these are chrooted, because "-" defauls to "y" in the
chroot column.

Does DNS work reliably in the chroot jail? What is in the jail resolv.conf

> To decribe the DNS environment sound very vague to me ... I'll try:

Any wild-card MX or wild-card A records? Any proxy firewalls that change
DNS replies?

> I own wmicomputer.de and brunswiek.org and hence have configured
> brunswiek.org's MX to dagobah.wmicomputer.de
> dagobah.wmicomputer.de has no MX and it is supposed that way.
> dagobah.wmicomputer's IP address is

This appears to be Serverflex in Germany.

> The DNS servers I use are, and so far I never
> had any lookup problems. The loop error only occours with veritasdgc.com

These are two different German ISPs, do both allow you to do recursive
lookups? Typically (unless you are captive to a single ISP) you should
be using your own DNS cache with direct queries to a root server when
no more specific NS records are found in your cache.

> What else do we need to know?

The "-v" output. You don't set proxy_interfaces so this empty, and
inet_interfaces (a list of discrete addresses) is unlikely to include
the remote address.

The remaining possibility is compiler or hardware bugs, these have been
a factor in some past problems.