Guardian Digital Inc. > InfoCenter > Mailing List Archives > Postfix

Postfix Mailing List Archive

From: postfix@ld.tacticus.com
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 12:42:14 EST

My situation:

Multiple domains, coming into one box.
Some times, the same user name exists in multiple domains.

So far, I have been creating unix users for everyone who needs a POP/IMAP
account, and where I had username conflicts, I have appended numbers, and
used aliases at the virtual level.

Therefore:

samename@domain1.com -> samename1@mydomain.com
samename@domain2.com -> samename2@mydomain.com

I use Maildirs.

For various reasons, this method is a major PITA.

However, in looking at home_mailboxes, and other settings and docs, I
don't see any way to create virtual users. The method I have thought of,
but haven't yet found a way to create (all would be solved, if file
delivery from virtual maps was possible, arrg), is this:

samename@domain1.com

Gets delivered to:

/var/mail/domain1.com/samename/Maildir/

samename@domain2.com

/var/mail/domain2.com/samename/Maildir/

Of course, then I have to find a way to get Dovecot-IMAP, to access
mailboxes based upon the domain upon which the connection originated, and
to read passwords accordingly, but I may be able to do that with MYSQL, or
another IMAP package (ideas welcome).

Questions:

1. Is this the best way to do this?
2. Is there a way to do this if it is?
3. Any other/better ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Luke