Guardian Digital Inc. > InfoCenter > Mailing List Archives > Postfix

Postfix Mailing List Archive

From: Sam Nilsson (sam@servingpeace.com)
Date: Fri Dec 24 2004 - 03:38:14 EST

Tom Allison wrote:
> I found a mailing list application that looks very appealing to me.
> Namely because it's very lightweight and... minimalistic in it's feature
> set. It's complete in respect to mailing lists, but it doesn't have all
> the extra features that aren't really a necessity for email listing.
> All that said, in it's documentation it's "hook" into mail servers is
> the /etc/aliases file entry like:
> minimalist: "|/usr/local/sbin/minimalist.pl"
> mail_list: "|/usr/local/sbin/minimalist.pl mail_list"
> Where the entry 'minimalist' == administration and 'mail_list' ==
> mailing list address.
> Now I'm interested setting this up for virtual domains, where
> /etc/aliases doesn't really apply.
> Would I configure the postfix system as per usual for seperate domains,
> non-UNIX accounts as described and then for each mailing list add an
> entry into the /etc/postfix/vmailbox:
> minimalist@example.com: "|/usr/local/sbin/minimalist.pl"
> mail_list@example.com: "|/usr/local/sbin/minimalist.pl mail_list"
> And put nothing in the /etc/aliases table?

Nope, that doesn't work. Virtual deliver agent doesn't pipe to commands.

I'm not sure exactly where to find this in the postfix docs, but here is
what you can do. Use Virtual Alias Maps to map each list address to the
same address at a special *list* subdomain like this:

listname@domain.tld --> listname@lists.domain.tld

Then you can use Transport Maps to map:

lists.domain.tld --> mailinglist:
domain.tld --> virtual:

Finally, you need to set up mailinglist: transport in master.cf.
Something like this (all one line):

mailinglist unix - n n - - pipe
         flags=Rq user=RUN_AS__THIS_USER
argv=/usr/local/sbin/minimalist.pl ${sender} ${recipient}

That is most of it. I hope that it makes some sense and that I didn't
leave out anything too important.

- Sam Nilsson