Guardian Digital Inc. > InfoCenter > Mailing List Archives > Security Basics

Security Basics Mailing List Archive

From: Anthony J. Cogan (anthony.cogan@thinkunix.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 13:44:29 EST

Well the technical side of me says if they do not conform to the SMTP
RFC's then it's the ISP's fault....

However, the business side of me says you must keep your customers
happy, they are the ones thay pay your salary and all your toys. Even
if it means not implementing something because another vendor isn't
doing something right.

If you are an ISP, your customers demand and should expect reliable
e-mail communications.

We have our SPAM filters turned quite high and blocking the majority of
foreign countries, but we have a couple customers that require email
to/from specific countries, so we have opened up those specific needs.

If your customer can't receive e-mail from someone they wish to
communicate with, they will leave your business for someone who will
provide them the service. They don't know about, nor do they care about
RFC conformity, they just want their e-mail.

It's a delicate balance.